<<

BoGGis

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 1982 Golf MK1
198x Suzuki SJ 413

Post Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:06 am

The Best 4 Cylinder Engines Ever Made!

I want YOU to make a short presentation about your (choise) top 4 cylinder engines of all time!

Power and potential according to displacement and in general is the name of the game!

Ps. We all love pictures.

My contribusion to this thread will be the largely unknown (internationally, at least performance wise) Volvo Red Block platform.

The B2x (Red Block) platform was standardised in a lot of Volvo's in 1976 and was in production until 1998 so it has been on the market for a shitload of years. This engine platform was the base design of a 2.0l 8v , a 2.1l 8v NA and Turbocharged model, 2.3l NA 8v, 16v and Turbocharged model.

The real magic of this engine is the amount of configurations it came in and the bore and stroke potential it has. In fact, you can bore and stroke the standard B23 (2.3l) engine block to a full 3.0 litres!! If you could get a hold of a limited number EVO engine block (Based on a Volvo Penta design and externally identical to the standard B23) you can bore it even more, which can give you a maximum displacement of around 3.2 litres!

the engine block itself can be compared to the BMW 2.3l 16V of the E30 M3 or the 2.3l, 2.5l Mercedes 190E 16V in size so it fits in almost any FR configuration (Hell, I even know of guys that has put these in early Toyota Starlets and in the rear of VW Beetles!).

As you know the E30 and the 190E ran in DTM with respectively 320HP (BMW)and 375HP (190E 2.5l 16v AMG). Now imagine if those engines could be stretched to 3.2 litres?! Well, this is what the Volvo Red Block can do! In a High - End 16 valve naturally aspirated configuration the Volvo Red Block Engine is capable of producing over 400HP with less revs per minute and more torque than any of the BMW/MB alerternatives, and that is just astonishing!

Imagine a 3.2 litre, 4 cylinder, naturally aspirated engine with around 400 horsepower mounted in a Honda S2000 or a Toyota AE86 :)
<<

Juno8

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Location: somewhere on the Australian Outback roads in my 1973 Ford XB GT Falcon

Cars: The Mad Max 1973 Ford XB GT Falcon

In Reality...Learning to drive in a 1997 Saab 9-5 Saloon :D

Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:33 am

Re: The Best 4 Cylinder Engines Ever Made!

VTEC engines are the best ever made lol
Slogan:
Weiand: Coming to a rear bumper near you!
Its my company car of my dreams :)

Car Company: ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Cars
<<

oldgreg

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 2003 WRX Wagon

Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:21 pm

You're both wrong, it's the BMW M12/13.

The engines were built with the same cast iron blocks as the lowly 1.8L, 98hp M10, but with bespoke DOHC heads, bomb-proof internals and a very, very large turbocharger. In qualifying trim the 1.5L engine made as much as 1500hp at 11,500 rpm on toluene/heptane fuel and 80+ psi of boost (nearly 100 psi absolute).

PS: Devs, please give us a cheat code for DevMeth and 6 Bar boost limits in the sandbox mode. Pleeeease? :cry:
<<

Juno8

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Location: somewhere on the Australian Outback roads in my 1973 Ford XB GT Falcon

Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:44 pm

I want that engine in my car RIGHT NOW, Germany....HERE I COME!
Slogan:

<<

BoGGis

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 1982 Golf MK1
198x Suzuki SJ 413

Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:38 pm

oldgreg wrote:You're both wrong, it's the BMW M12/13.

The engines were built with the same cast iron blocks as the lowly 1.8L, 98hp M10, but with bespoke DOHC heads, bomb-proof internals and a very, very large turbocharger. In qualifying trim the 1.5L engine made as much as 1500hp at 11,500 rpm on toluene/heptane fuel and 80+ psi of boost (nearly 100 psi absolute).

PS: Devs, please give us a cheat code for DevMeth and 6 Bar boost limits in the sandbox mode. Pleeeease? :cry:

This is from the legendary F1 Turbo years :) Awesome engine. I read somewhere that these engine blocks were often laid outside for month's to make 'em stronger so that they could handle the power :)

But... In my opinion, turbochargers are almost the same as cheating :) If you have enough money, you can almost just name a HP number and someone will deliver...
<<

oldgreg

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 2003 WRX Wagon

Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:52 pm

BoGGis wrote:Awesome engine. I read somewhere that these engine blocks were often laid outside for month's to make 'em stronger so that they could handle the power :)

They were left outside because there was no room for them inside, there were just too damned many of the things laying around. These were throw-away engines and each car (there were six of them) went through several engines on each race weekend so the engine builders had to keep an ass-ton of inventory on hand. And since all the blocks would be milled, bored, shot peened etc. before assembly a little surface rust wasn't going to make any difference. Legend has it, though, that the mechanics would go around back and pee on the blocks for good luck.

The neat thing is that they used production blocks out of used road cars with about 60,000 miles on the odo., on the basis that the heat cycling of daily use would have normalized any residual stresses within the metal from the casting process.
<<

Daffyflyer

Developer - Lead Artist
Developer - Lead Artist

Cars: 1993 Mazda Lantis Type R V6, Broken 1995 Ford Falcon

Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:24 pm

oldgreg wrote:The neat thing is that they used production blocks out of used road cars with about 60,000 miles on the odo., on the basis that the heat cycling of daily use would have normalized any residual stresses within the metal from the casting process.

Probably also on the basis that if they were going to crack anywhere they'd have done it already.
3d Artist, Game Designer, Marketing Guy

Follow us on
Twitter - http://twitter.com/AutomationGame
ModDB - http://www.moddb.com/games/automation
Facebook - http://goo.gl/omJzt
Chat http://automationgame.com/irc
<<

Juno8

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:48 pm

Daffy are you chickening out of adding 6 Bar boost and Dev Meth back in the game???
Slogan:

<<

Nglycerin

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 1994 GMC Sierra 2500 XC
ZZ350 380hp 418tq
4l60e

Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:43 am

I want Dev meth so I can have a 662 cu in big block with a 15:1 cr without it exploding on the dyno after 1500rpms.
Oh and one other thing is there going to be a diesel option anytime in the future? I would love to have the ability to make a diesel car because we all know that smaller cars need massive amounts of torque for no apparent reason whatsoever :D
"Sticks and Stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact"
<<

benceboc

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: '01 Ford Mondeo Turnier Mk3 TDDi

Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:42 am

Next

Return to Off Topic